How to Use Vinyl Nail Stencils
This is a short tutorial to help you use vinyl nail stencils! Below I will show you how I use the stencils, but other people may have another method that could work better for you, so be sure to go on youtube and watch the pros do it (:
Step 1: Start with clean nails
· Wash your hands & dry them well.
· Remove any excess oil on your nail bed by wiping your nail with a makeup pad soaked in nail polish remover. If there is a lot of oil on your nail bed, the polish wont stick as well.
Step 2: Apply your favourite base coat & let dry
Step 3: Apply your base color & let dry.
· Allow this to dry for a few minutes before moving on to step 4.
· If you would like to have a negative space effect, skip this step.
Step 4: Apply a quick dry top coat & let dry COMPLETELY
Step 5: Preparing the vinyl stencils
· Choose the patterns you would like to use and have them out and ready.
· Using a pair of tweezers, grab onto a corner of one stencil and tug quickly to remove the stencil from the backing.
Step 6: Applying vinyl stencils to the nail
· Working one nail at a time, line up the stencil on your nail and press down to stick the stencil to your nail. I use the back sides of tweezers to press the stencil into the corners of my nails.
· Make sure the stencil is completely stuck down. If it isn't stuck in some areas, polish will leak under there and potentially mess up your design.
Step 7: Polish!
· I find the best way to apply polish over a nail stencil is to use a makeup sponge. I cut the makeup sponge into a size that is similar to the size of my nails. I then apply the polish to one size of the sponge and dab the sponge over my nail. It usually takes 1-3 coats depending on how opaque the polish is.
Step 8: Remove vinyl stencils from the nail
· As soon as you are done applying polish over the stencil, remove the stencil quickly and gently. I remove my stencils by using tweezers to grab onto one side, and then pulling up and over until the stencil is completely removed. Do not allow your polish to dry on top of the stencil.